Kunming: spring-like weather all year around, flowers dot around the warm city, spring comes in front of your eyes at any time.
A place gathering natural and humane landscape of Kunming. Long history, unique geological structure has brought Kunming many cultural relics and scenic spots, including the pretty "Ashima" in the Stone Forest, the 500-mile Dianchi Lake seen from the Da Guan Pavilion, the Nationality Village, the Dragon Gate at Xishan Mountain, the camellia in Jindian Scenic Zone, the black-headed gull in Green Lake, showing the elegance of Kunming.
Kunming, with mild climate, without intensive heat of summer or bitter cold winter, spring-like in four seasons, a pleasant climate, is an extremely prestigious "spring city". There is a poem saying that, in Kunming one needs no fur coat in the twelfth lunar month, no sweat with a cotton cloth in summer, plum blossoms in midwinter, and willow swings for the incoming year.
1. Flower shopping: Yunnan is a sea of flowers with a great variety in cheap price, a bunch of roses will only cost you less than 10 Yuan. When you are in Kunming, believe me, you would love to go to the flower market and leave it with a bunch of flowers in hand, romantic and meaningful. Dounan is the largest flower market in China, dazzling with great variety and cheaper price.
2. Viewing Dianchi Lake: Dragon Gate is the best place for bird's eye view of Dianchi Lake, at a commanding position to see the beauty of eight hundred miles of Dianchi Lake scenery. And Dragon Gate is also the best place to enjoy the moon in the Mid-Autumn Festival.
3. The longest antithetical couplet in China: The antithetical couplet, written by Sun Ranweng, a famous litterateur in the period of Emperor Qianlong, beside the door of the Da Guan Pavilion, is known as the "longest antithetical couplet from ancient to modern ages". You will see a scenery here similar to the "Moon in Three Pools" of West Lake in Hangzhou if you stand on the Da Guan Pavilion and look down at the water surface, which is called as "Long antithetical couplet reflecting moon" by local people, making it a good place for viewing the moon and the lake.
4. Cherry Blossoms. March is the time for cheery blossoms in Kunming, and Yuantong Mountain is the best place for watching the sea of flower, a profusion of fallen petals, which can't be more beautiful.
5. Splendor of Gold and Jade. At the change of day and night, the afterglow of the setting sun shines on the Jade Rooster Arch, shadowing on the east street. At the same time, the moon rises from the east, silver lights shine on the Golden Horse Arch, shadowing on the west street. Thus, two shadows of the arches, gradually get closer, and finally connect with each other. It forms the scenery as called "splendor of moon and sun" of the Golden Horse and Jade Rooster Arches, which comes once every 60 years, and its latest appearance as recorded is in the Period of Emperor Daoguang in the Qing Dynasty.
6. Cross Bridge Rice Noodle. It is of long history and is one of the favorite food for Yunnan people. Missing it will be a matter for regret if you have come to Yunnan.
Kunming is a suitable place for tourists all year round, but the best tourist season is from March to October, when the scenery is the most beautiful, with the maximum national minority festivals, in a season full of fruits and flowers. You will get a lot more tourism atmosphere in this period.
Kunming is a "spring city", with the temperate plateau wet monsoon climate, longer sunshine time, spring-like seasons, mild climate all the year round, without intense heat in summer or bitter cold winter, the four seasons in all suitable for travel. Kunming's annual average temperature is about 15 ℃, the average temperature in the hottest month is basically between 19 ℃ to 22 ℃, and that of the coldest month is between 6℃ - 8 ℃.
But the daily temperature difference in Kunming is very big, sometimes up to 12 ~ 20 ℃ in the winter and spring season, so you should bring a sweater or coat to travel at this time. The period from May to October is the rainy season for Kunming, basically it rains every day in this period. The temperature will drop a little when it rains, so you'd better take a wind coat. And wear warm clothes in autumn and winter.
In addition, there are many ethnic minorities in Kunming, each has their own festivals, including the "Xishan Mountain Tour" in March, the Torch Festival of the Yi nationality in the sixth lunar month, the Dai nationality's water-splashing festival in April, Buyi nationality's Moon Dancing in February 13 to 15. Therefore it is recommended to choose your travel period according to the ethnic festivals you are interested in. By the way, the black-headed gull only appears in winte[FS:Page]r.
Someone makes a conclusion for Yunnan food: hotter than food of other places but Guizhou, spicier than food of other places but Sichuan. That means, for people with a mild taste, Yunnan food is a bit too hotter, but somewhat not hotter enough for people from Sichuan or Hunan. However, that's why Yunnan food has a distinctive ethnic and local characteristics compared to food of other provinces.
Yunnan has food of various ethnic minorities, ranking top in the number nationwide, and in Kunming all these foods gather together, including pulp tofu, roast rice cake, stinky tofu, Xuanwei ham, steamed pot chicken, minced potato, etc. Among all, two of them you should not miss, the cross bridge rice noodle and the wild fungus mushroom.
Food in Kunming: Yunnan rice noodle, fried rice cake, roast rice cake, wild fungus mushroom, minced potato, purple rice with eight-treasures rice pudding, braised bean rice, steamed pot chicken, Lunan cheese cake.
Kunming is a famous plant kingdom with ever-green flowers. There are many flower markets in Kunming, the price is cheap, and most people will buy a batch before leaving. Besides, multi-ethnic minorities bring Yunnan various ethnic handicrafts, so taking them home for family and friends is absolutely a good choice. Not to mention, Yunnan cigarettes, Yunnan ham, fungus mushroom are the local products in Yunnan with the most distinctive features.
In addition, the flower and bird market in Jingxing Street sells not only flowers and birds, but also ethnic arts and crafts. Kunming's handicraft products are famous, such as Kunming ivory carving, Jianchuan woodcarving, etc. Native products mainly include wild fungus dry food, ethnic batik, tie-dye, etc. In addition, you also can buy a lot of characteristic products rarely seen in other provinces, such as: tropical fruit, Burmese gems, red teakwood, caterpillar fungus in Chinese alpine region and so on, and there are many minority characteristic decorations and supplies.
Specialty in Kunming: Xuanwei ham, Yunnan cigarettes, tea, edible fungus, tin handicrafts, silver pattern black copper, Lunan cross-stich work, batik, Kunming ivory carving, spot copper products.
As for recreation, Kunming has no big differences from other modern cities. Bars, KTVs, cybercafes are easy to be found in the city. Kundu is the place with concentrated recreation in Kunming, you can have a jolly time there. The Golden Horse and Jade Rooster Arches is the place for young people in Kunming. There are also some characteristic bars around the Green Lake, with high price among the local market. In addition, some recreation activities in the tourism area enable the visitors to enjoy themselves to the full: karting, horse riding in the Wild Duck Lake Scenic Zone; outdoor spa in the Anning Hot Spring, very comfortable to release fatigue; and watching black-headed gull beside the Green Lake in winter.
What's worth mentioning is the ethnic dances of Yunnan. As Yunnan has many ethnic minorities, thus ethnic dances in Yunnan are of long history and in various kinds, including, for example, Axi Dancing in the Moon Light, Yanhe Dance, Luozuo Dance, Flower Drum Dance of Yi national minority, Peacock Dance, Elephant-foot Drum Dance of Dai national minority, Munao Zongge of Jingpo national minority, Silver Pheasant Dance, Fan Dance, Niugu Dance of Hani national minority, Whip Dance, Twin Swallows of Bai national minority, Bagpipe Dance of Lahu national minority, Orere, Dongba Dance of Naxi national minority, Guozhuang, Xianzi of Tibetan national minority, Copper Bell Dance of Yao national minority and other ethnic dances in Nu national minority, Lisu national minority, Bulang national minority, Jino national minority, Achang national minority, De’ang national minority, Dulong national minority, Mongolian national minority and Hui national minority...
For most tourists, it is rather difficult to go deep in these ethnic minority villages to watch these dances, but Yunnan ethnic village scenic area holds such song and dance performances, allowing visitors to experience the richness of these ethnic customs.